Important - Slight location change!
Prewired has now moved to a new, larger space within CodeBase. To access it, please enter via the doors at 38 Castle Terrace instead of the main doors to Argyle house. The new entrance is just around the corner from the old one as shown on the map below, the doors are clearly labelled with "CodeBase".
If you're less than 19 years old and interested in learning to code, or already know how and want to go even further, you're in the right place!
Web, mobile, games... software, hardware... designing, coding, making... anything goes.
Computers let you create anything you can think of. Prewired is here to help enthusiastic young coders of any ability to do just that.
How to join
- You or a parent sign up for the newsletter using the form below, so you don’t miss out on any announcements.
- Register for membership (it’s free!), leaving your emergency contact details and any special requirements.
- Book your place each week for our sessions using Eventbrite.
- Turn up!
- If you have never coded before, or have but don’t know what to do, no problem! Introduce yourself to the Duty Mentor (who should be easy to spot) when you arrive, and they’ll help you to get started.
- If you’re already working on a coding project (maybe you’re building your own website), or learning a topic by yourself and are happy to carry on with that, cool beans. Make yourself at home and ask any of our mentors if you need help (they’ll be wearing special tshirts, or you can put your hand up and someone will spot you).
When and where?
- Find us every Wednesday between 5:30 and 7:30pm in CodeBase.
- Sign in (tick your name off the list) at the main entrance, then follow the signs to the room.
What to bring
- If you can bring your own laptop, please do! But if you need to borrow one, we have a few spares - just ask a mentor.
- If you have any other hardware or special equipment you’d like to use, feel free to bring that too. There’s likely to be someone around who can help you get it working.
- We’ll provide some snacks, but you can bring your own if you like.
- Enthusiasm! Whether you know everything or nothing at all, all you need is to be excited about making something cool with computers. If you have ideas about what you’d like to do but don’t know how to do it you should let someone know!
Keeping in touch
If you want to chat to other members in-between sessions, you can:
- Request to join the mailing list: [email protected]
- Join the facebook group.
- Join the IRC channel (ask a mentor for the password).
- Send @prewired a message on Twitter.
Watch this space… Soon we’ll have our very own social network which you can use to blog about your projects or chat to other members in your own private space.
Check out the FAQ, or email hello [at] prewired [dot] org.
To find out more about how we’ve developed and what we’ve been doing, read our first Prewired report!